Joe's Imperial Roleplay Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Imperial Expedition

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Imperial Expedition - Page 2 Empty Re: Imperial Expedition

Post by Vagrant Hero Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:25 pm

(Cirnii is a general name for a citizen of the Imperium, and both a plural and an adjective, whereas Folc refers to the actual species, though technically it is the name for their genus. Like how the Romans didn't all call themselves humans, they called themselves Romans, and named their government after their people. Senatus Populusque Romanus. Just something I took issue with in the game that all the governments were named with either their species name, which is usually stupid, or named after the planet or star, which is better.)

The Cirnii begin seating themselves among the cushions, resting on their knees. They suss out the meaning of the animation fairly quickly, not being unfamiliar with auditory communication themselves. So, the Cirnii begin to speak. The scientists talk about science stuff, the Paladins talk about the history of the Imperium and their holy duty, and the soldiers talk about what soldiers talk about when in stressful, potentially dangerous environments. Anything to lighten the mood. Discussion about the latest movies, global politics, sexual exploits, the usual.

To the Xengari, this comes across as a high-pitched chirp-crick noise with varying tempo, intensity, with pauses and dynamics thrown in for emphasis and delineation of different sounds to carry meaning. However, most of the Cirnii are not using body langugage as much as usual, since they are still on alert.

Let the translation games commence.

Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:22 pm

The Xengari correlation program turns towards attempting to translate the alien language. Eventually translating it of a sort, not being the entire language but some basis, the Xengari hold off on letting the Cirnii know of their translation, simply radioing among themselves as the program continues to strengthen and correct any problems in it's translation as the Cirnii continue to speak. The "translation" is less an actual translation and more a framework for translating the language, this effort of actually translating continues.

The Xengari for their part remain in their pressure suits until Captain Hretai, much to dismay of the Science Officer, partially removing the helmets around her thee heads. The central head having no visible eyes while the two side heads both having singular eyes along each side of the head. Possibly explaining the earlier turning of head behavior, She then turns them looking upon the Cirnii with vision from her side heads and sonar via ultrasonic pulses from her central head.

Joe Joerson
Admin

https://stellarisroleplay.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:54 am

It is around this point that the Observer finally realizes that the Xengari are using sonar to "ping" images, like the small flying mammalians that prey on even smaller mammals and insects on Carrak. She sets her digital notepad to record and make note of these sounds, and starts trying to figure out what other noises the Xengari are making.

The Folc as a whole are somewhat discomfited by the immense size and the obviously immense strength that the Xengari posses. Some individuals admire the Xengari's undoubted intelligence, given their ability to create robots of all kinds and travel through the Void, but they are all concerned about both the potential threat (and opportunity) that the Xengari represent.

Taken up by the spirit of the moment, a few of the men-at-arms start to sing a song about a mariner, whose bravery and courage lead to the discovery of exotic lands and new friends. Regarded as a bit optimistic by most of the other Cirnii, they nevertheless begin to sing along, recounting the deeds of the Mariner. The Paladins give the equivalent of a sigh as they watch the soldiers fool around.

Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:29 pm

Captain Hretai watches the alien antics for a short amount of time before finally listening to her Science Officer who had been speaking in High Kolesh in the ultrasonic range as the aliens had not seemed to be aware of such ranges, to put her helmets back on. Though the Captain only put her rightmost helmet back on she also ordered to be able to listen to the translation of the caterwauling of the Xenos. After listening through the speakers in the rightmost helmet Captain Hretai decides that she will speak to the aliens.

The machine between the Xengari and the Cirnii flashes out blue lights and a cracking noise, like thunder, to get the attention of the aliens. The lights are not particularly bright nor the noise particularly loud but they suddenness may be designed to catch the aliens attention. A few seconds after the alert the devices emits more sounds this time the hopefully appropriately translated message of Captain Hretai to the Cirnii.

"Hello alien personnel. This is Lady Hretai, Viscountess of the Akreonic world of Tuplarvis, Senior Captain of the nearby Akreonic flotilla. To whom do I speak to?"

Captain Hretai's leftmost head, which is bare, is perpendicular to the Cirnii, watching with one eye. Her central head moves as if scanning the Cirnii for the one who will reply, as it does this the central head continues to emit Ultrasonic pulses for determining the location of each Cirnii.

Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:58 pm

Suddenly put on edge by the loud noise, all the Cirnii immediately stop whatever they were doing to stare at the machine, though they quickly calm down when they hear the voice of the Viscountess. Paladin Cayderix steps forward.

"I am Lord Paladin Cayderix of the Holy Order of the Faith and Sword and vassal of His Imperial Majesty the Emperor and his Household, representative of the Serene Imperium of the Blessed Cirnii Realm, Captain of the Emperor's Will and commander of this Expeditionary Fleet."

Following this greeting, he makes a large bow in the direction of Lady Hretai's central head, due to her status as fellow nobility as well as being the hostess of this meeting. He finds some comfort in the fact that they are dealing with nobility, but this mention of "Akreonic world" implies that there are other, perhaps numerous, Akreonic "worlds." If so, he is dealing with a power far greater than any the Imperium has faced before, and as such, must tread lightly to avoid any missteps.

Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:01 pm

Captain Hretai's central head follows Cayderix as he steps forward, listening to the translation of his words and his bow before reply. First she folds her leftmost head once more across her torso as the Xengari had done before and she replies, the machine translating. As she replies er leftmost head returns to it's previous position.

"Greetings Lord Paladin Cayderix, while it undoubtedly a pleasure to greet one such as yourself, my duty as an officer compels me to ask before any formalities may begin, what exactly are your and your Emperor's intentions in this invasion of Akreonic territory? Forgive me if the question seems rude, however many would know why your people would dare contend with the United Lordships of Akreon."

Behind the three Xengari a few of the biped robots remove one of the wall panelings and start pulling out a large table like device that is obviously some kind of projector though it seems unnecessarily large if was just a holographic projector or other such device.

Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:47 pm

"Lady Viscountess Hretai of Tuplarvis, I can speak truthfully on behalf of Orders of the Faith and Sword, Hospitallers, and the Citadel, as well as for the Emperor which I serve, that it was not our intention to violate any sovereign power's territory. Indeed, we did not know of any fellow spacefarers nearby, part of the reason which the Emperor allowed our expedition to be funded. Our mission is simply to explore the galaxy and report what we find, whether they be potential threats, opportunities, or the simple beauty that is the Void. As fate would have it, our first jump out of our territory landed us inside yours. Our very first! Sign or no, it surely was most fortuitous that we have been able to establish this dialogue together."

Recollecting how long he has been talking, Cayderix drifts into silence, awaiting the response of the Xengari. Some attention is drawn to the table projector, but curiosity about its size is dwarfed by how large the Xengari are in the first place, so they assume it is just large because the Xengari are large.
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:54 pm

The biped robots begins moving the table-projector from the previous locations to the a position just off the rightmost Xengari, they begin hooking up the machine to various other cables. As this happens Captain Hretai responds.

"Yes, most fortuitous indeed Lord Paladin Cayderix. I will drop the matter of your trespassing, one cannot be sure of what they find. I will say that your Emperor is prudent, as one would be correct to assume that there are threats among the stars. Though is appears you have found opportunity on this journey rather than disaster. I do not doubt that the Overlord will be very interested sending a delegation to your Wise ruler. I have to ask one more question however, you say you speak on behalf of your Emperor but add this after speaking of several "Orders". You label them as separate from the Emperor but also subservient. Your ships are labelled with symbols subservient, to another, presumably your Emperor. Why then do I speak to Lord Paladin Cayderix of the Holy Order of the Faith and Sword, vassal of His Imperial Majesty, rather than a direct representative of your Emperor? I am only charged with representation of the Overlord, not of Tuplarvis, nor any ulterior organization so why are you the representative of your race?"

The projector-table is hooked up and the biped robots move back away from it as the rightmost Xengari begins to manipulate something on it's control panel.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:31 pm

"You are a most just Lady, and thus deserve to know the truth about this matter," he says, after much internal deliberation. "The Imperium is weak. That's the truth of it." There is some disconcerted chittering from the rest of the Cirnii, but only at the expression of a thing that is known throughout most of the Empire, but not said. "The common folk still believe in their Emperor, and so do the Orders, but alas, mere belief is not enough to combat the intrigues and politics of our homeland."

He pauses a while, thinking. "This is a dangerous thing, I am sure, that I am telling you all. But you would have found out soon enough, is my thought. Our Emperor is akin to a wall-hanger. A thing that is seen and admired, but not intended to be used. For the past few thousand years, a Conclave has ruled in his stead, a perversion of their ancient role of offering wise council. Always, they claim to rule by the Emperor's will, but the truth is that they decide his will for him, if you take my meaning. In this regard, the Conclave is the true 'direct representative' of the Emperor."

He shows visible signs of disgust as he says this, antennae twitching erratically. "A more direct answer to your question, would simply be that our Orders financed this expedition seperately from the Conclave, but with the caveat that we must report everything we find 'to the Emperor.'" If the translation device is accurate enough, it will detect the sarcasm quite easily. "The Conclave could just as easily remove the Emperor entirely, but still, they keep up this farce," he says, great anger detected in his voice. "They have broken their bond as lords many times over. To be a ruler of Folc, one must always have their best interests at heart. They would just as soon support one side as the other on an issue, and undermine them both if it meant securing long-term gain," he scoffs. "A mockery of justice..."

Another, longer pause, but just as the cue might be taken to respond, he speaks some more.

"There is a saying among my people. "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation.' So it is, with the Imperium. By all that is holy, I implore you, Akreonic Lords, to not trust the Conclave. They do not abide by Divine Law, and proclaim the Emperor's Will as their own, rather than vice versa." The rest of the Cirnii are uncomfortable with their position so revealed, and for what seems like such a great risk to the Imperium, but even the most stubborn among them believe that the Xengarii would, indeed, have found out eventually.

"The Holy Orders, for the most part, are still loyal to the Emperor and what he represents. The Common Folc as well. But the Faith is corrupt, the vassal lords are a law unto themselves, and the Conclave actively undermines and perverts the Institutions of our land." Cayderix cannot bring himself to speak any longer, the anger replaced with just a dull, slow rage.

Last edited by Vagrant Hero on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:34 pm

The Xengari listen intently to the little speech of Cayderix. One with interest in alien affairs, one with desire for exploitation, and one with interest, and shared disgust. Captain Hretai speaks.

"Lord Paladin Cayderix of the Holy Order of the Faith and Sword, loyal vassal of His Imperial Majesty the Emperor and his Household, representative of the Serene Imperium of the Blessed Cirnii Realm, Captain of the Emperor's Will and commander of the Cirnii Expeditionary Fleet, I Senior Captain Hretai, of the nearby Akreonic flotilla cannot help you." She pauses as she appears to be thinking. After a silence long enough to start to reply in she speaks more. "However, I Lady Hretai, Viscountess of the Akreonic world of Tuplarvis, may be able to offer my assistance."

She pauses again then speaks more. "While I cannot send this flotilla off on my authority to assist you. I can speak to those who can however. I will give you leave to speak to your vessels if need be while I speak to those higher than myself. I would request that you, Lord Paladin Cayderix, stay here as I may require direct information about this situation."

While she gestures to some of the servile robots and they begin once more moving around equipment, viewscreens and such, she does wait for a response.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:44 pm

"Your offer is most generous, Lady Viscountess," he says, wearied. He gives a small bow, before settling down on one of the cushions. "I will remain. May the father of understanding guide us in these treacherous times." The Observer sends a signal back to the ships to let them know that contact has gone well.
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:05 pm

Captain Hretai moves slightly and adjusts the viewscreen and the several mounted cameras more to her liking. From the view they would get they would see Hretai and not much else as she has positioned it away from the Cirnii and the contact station. After a few moments she speaks in the slow melodious High Kolesh untranslated to some other Xengari before being transferred.

More time passes then suddenly she folds down both her rightmost and leftmost heads in the Xengari gesture of respect to a superior or high authority. Speaking in the slow melodious, and very high going into the Ultrasonic ranges High Kolesh. She speaks for a while to the Xengari she did the Superior Salute to, then pauses and waits.

Their conversation might look something like this:

After the waiting to be transferred Hretai is shown a very busy Overlady Vetnay and she informs Hretai in a rapid and low deep sounding Low Kolesh, dipping into the Infrasonic ranges.

The 'Conversation' might be translated this way:

The Viewscreen switches to a holding screen presumably starting the few minutes. A stunned Captain Hretai takes hold of herself and beckons to Lord Paladin Cayderix to come near as she directs various robots in setting up the translation equipment to the transmission.

Meanwhile the Xengari reinforcements arrive in system, staying at systems edge away from the station and the Cirnii fleet. The reinforcing fleet consists of a transport class vessel, four corvettes and one Xengari destroyer. Some brief communications go between the in system Xengari fleet and the reinforcements, simply confirming their orders to stay at systems edge.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:43 pm

Cayderix has some misgivings about what he has gotten his people into by this point. Unable to understand what was being said, but able to guess as to what the conversation may have been about, he rises from the cushions, powered armor whirring, and walks towards the massive Viscountess. The rest of the Cirnii expedition onboard the station continues to sit around, while the ship crews make note of the new arrivals in space. In his head, he is thankful that they had marked the spies weeks in advance and turned the Observer to his side, otherwise he would never have made such an open revelation to the Xengari, knowing that information would go straight back to the Conclave.

Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:56 pm

The Viewscreen shows an image of the three Headed symbol of the Overlordship on a blue circle on a white background, similar to the Akreonic flag. The Robots finish setting up the equipment as Captain Hretai speaks to Cayderix. The speech of Hretai is translated out the viewscreen's speakers.

"Lord Paladin Cayderix, the Xengar you are about to meet is called Vetnay. You may address her as such. She will ultimately decide whether the United Lordships help you or not. She asks that you give your reasons for why she should consider spending resources to assist your Emperor and your Empire. We have a few minutes before you must speak, you can inform me when you are ready."

She falls silent awaiting his response.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Cayderix meets the eyes of all the Cirnii in the room. Granted, he can't actually see all of their eyes due to the visors, but he catches their attention all the same. A brief nod from each of them. Confirmation.

So this is the course I am settled on. "Very well. I am prepared," he intones, determined.
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:40 pm

Hretai doesn't say anything and merely flips a switch on the viewscreen and moves it down to appropriate height and location for Cayderix. After a few moments the view switches from what was clearly a holding screen to a Xengar. Vetnay is wearing a ceremonial robe of some sort to fit a Xengari but otherwise wears no headdress or other identifying mark, behind Vetnay there are no real background, simply a metal wall. As the the view appears she speaks.

"Alien, you have come into Akreonic space and asked for our assistance. I know why you have done this. So why should do this? Why should we commit forces to assist your peoples?"
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Cayderix sighs, knowing it is probably not the wisest thing to say what he is about to say, but a servant of truth shall not tell lies, whether they be through misdirection or omission. As such, he cannot allow his message to stray from its purpose. "Greetings Vetnay. As much as it pains me, I fear that my message has grown in the telling; I do not ask for any assistance from your people, nor do I mean to ask for assistance from your people. My intention was to answer an honest question, with an honest answer. A simple warning in addition to context, if you will. Now, with that being said, any offers of assistance could be discussed, but I am not the leader of my Order. Only this fleet. My sincerest apologies for this misconception and misuse of time."
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Vetnay simply continues to listen to Cayderix as he speaks then responds.

"Alien, I accept your apologies however this matter cannot be dropped. I would extend an offer of assistance. I do not care of your struggles or feelings on the matter. The United Lordships of Akreon cannot allow a potentially hostile alien race with the ability to threaten even a few worlds of our vast Empire. We will intervene in this matter, whether this be towards your own goals is your decision, or that of your superiors. I will grant you or your superiors one half-life of iodine-131 to make this decision before we intervene ourselves. I would request that you simply give the location of your homesystem, however if you refuse and refuse to cooperate, out of chauvinism and missed placed affection for your homeland, it will only prolong the suffering of your people by a few extra half-lives, we would find the system easily with our armada of ships. We would rather not have to destroy your Empire however we will if you and your superiors do not cooperate. If you do cooperate then we will restore your Emperor to power and place few commitments and restrictions on your Empire. We would have you as friends and prosper together, but if you choose to be enemies then do not expect to prosper evermore. I have explained the matter, this is your people's choice. Choose wisely."

At the final line the viewscreens cuts out. Captain Hretai has not said anything since this began but now speaks her words translated to Cayderix.

"I am sorry to this burden on your people, we Xengari will either be your best allies or worst enemies. If you choose not to cooperate at all then I will allow your ships to depart Xengari space in peace. However if you wish to hear our further proposals that have been forwarded from the Overlady, we would speak of them to you and let you depart to speak to your people. I am sorry Lord Paladin Cayderix, but I cannot help you more, the needs of my people and of my world, Tuplarvis, must come first. If you wish to hear more of our pro- I will speak as it is. If you will hear our demands then you are welcome here and may depart in peace when you are ready to leave, whether that be after our demands have been heard or at this very time."

If one was able to see Xengari social cues one would tell that Hretai was virtually emotionless on the outside. More likely as of contain strong internal emotions rather than actual indifference. The other two Xengari are similarly silent.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:52 pm

'Hard times, hard choices. Or maybe not too hard.' Cayderix is running almost on autopilot in the physical realm, mind whirring down mental pathways and corridors. His previous stillness is replaced with something almost supernatural.

"There is story, though few know of it, of a wise king who lived many, many years ago. His realm was the wealthiest in the world. The scholars the most learned. His military the envy of the world, and his capital a center of trade. In his later years, he grew paranoid, seeing threats where there were none, making enemies where he should have made friends, and made harsh, albeit wise, choices. All he wanted was to keep the realm safe, but through his actions, he plunged it into a state of eternal war, moving on from conquest to conquest. Where there was once wealth, debt took its place. The strong men of his army were replaced by young, weak children and elders who should have been living out their lives in comfort. Widows took to the fields to provide for what remained of their families."

"To pursue peace through strength is to leave the path of wisdom, though Vetnay knows this not. And in my heart, I know he does not truly desire friends, only subjects and tools. I see it in the words he uses, and in what he does not say. I hope he recognizes the irony some day, that the first enemy the Xengari fought amongst the stars was one of his own creation. Farewell, noble Hretai. May you celebrate the dawn for years to come."

As one, the Cirnii stand. Cayderix beckons most of them to walk ahead of him. They will march ahead to the ships if left uncontested. Before he, too, makes to go for the ships, he turns and bows again to the Xengari. "Will you escort your guests out of these halls, or shall I walk alone?"
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Hretai listens and responds.

"We will escort you out and allow your ships to leave. I would recommend against going elsewhere in Akreonic territory but your decision is your own. I am filled with sorrow that it had to go this way, perhaps we'll both survive what comes next."

The Three Xengari escort the Cirnii out of the Cargo Depot, and back to their ship. They are not stopped, though the bipedal robots do move out again and fold down into their previous position.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:25 pm

Looks like that concludes this thread then. 8 out of character days until oblivion?
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:36 pm

If you like, we can go at any pacing but in character something like a week till two months depending on how lucky the Xengari are in their search for the Cirnii homesystem. Because all they know is that it has to be within a certain range that they do not know of the systems that they visited. Most of this scouting likely to be done with their patrol boats as all corvettes and most of the patrols are gutted for this war. The Xengari despite all their talk don't actually have a navy to match their Empire, though it still is more than a much for anything the Cirnii might throw together. We can discuss any specifics in some private messages. We might after speaking a little make a thread for the war, which might be interesting especially if the Cirnii try raiding since they do have some advantages considering that the Xengari with gathering forces to first find then overwhelm and defeat the Cirnii.

We can do whatever pacing. I don't mind if you want eight days, we can work with that.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vagrant Hero Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Okay. Private messages on the way.
Vagrant Hero
Vagrant Hero
Member Maximus
Member Maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:38 pm

I'll await them. Oh also I'll close this thread.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2