Joe's Imperial Roleplay Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Second Roleplay Universe

+2
Zuko Darkborn
The Clans
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Second Roleplay Universe - Page 2 Empty Re: The Second Roleplay Universe

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:24 am

(Perhaps we should move this discussion into the OOC Chat and Discussions section?)

Joe Joerson
Admin

https://stellarisroleplay.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:52 am

[Probably]

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

The Second Roleplay Universe - Page 2 Empty The Second Roleplay Universe

Post by Joe Joerson Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:57 pm

(Created new topic, please keep discussion here, I will be locking up topics and sections in the Aftermath roleplay section.)

Last edited by Joe Joerson on Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing spelling mistakes)

Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:50 pm

So speaking of Ideas relating to the new Roleplay, I thought I would speak about civilian ships and how I might envision them.

In the Aftermath Roleplay most of the connections and communications between players and empires were diplomatic affairs. By introducing civilians and their attempts, depending on the Empire of course, would allow for both more diplomatic contact between the Governments themselves and would allow for additional contact between players.

For example after diplomatic relations have been established perhaps corporations and free traders attempt to Trade with the Empires, whether they be the Native Government and the Traders or the Native Traders and the foreign competition.

Or perhaps far beyond the "Official" wave of expansion and explorations are those Free Traders, Free Colonists, Corporations and Conglomerates are out meeting new life, trading, making friends and enemies, founding new colonies, perhaps they stay close to their mother countries or perhaps they are independent.

Or maybe a trade flotilla arriving conceals actual Governmental agents and spies sent for subterfuge in both sabotage and intelligence gathering.

Or new contacts could be made first from a colony ship arriving at an already inhabited world, or perhaps coming under attack from Pirates and Alien vessels coming to rescue, from protection of the colony vessel to hatred of the Pirates.

What do all of you think? And what more could we do?

Last edited by Joe Joerson on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correction of word tense.)

Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Offizier Necro Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:02 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:So speaking of Ideas relating to the new Roleplay, I thought I would speak about civilian ships and how I might envision them. [...] What do all of you think?
I agree with this idea. For nations with private sectors, private actors would also doing their own thing in addition to government representatives. Also, SPACE CHINESE GOODS WHEN

Offizier Necro
Hyper Member
Hyper Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Offizier Necro wrote:I agree with this idea. For nations with private sectors, private actors would also doing their own thing in addition to government representatives. Also, SPACE CHINESE GOODS WHEN

Yes, though for nations that don't have Private sectors and interacting with those who do, maybe some of those "Government Representatives" would start their companies selling exotic goods, for their own benefit or maybe governmental plots. There is a lot of things people can take this if they use it, though in the before mentioned example the Private sector nation might not take the Alien competition well, tariffs come to mind...

In any case, I think when setting up the organization for the next Roleplay I will do something more like "Peaceful Incharacter Player Interactions" (might need to work on that a little) rather than "Diplomacy". Or maybe I should just create two separate sub forums pieces...
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:44 pm

The problem with this idea is that my aliens don't really have what you would call a "private sector".

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:56 pm

Caspoi wrote:The problem with this idea is that my aliens don't really have what you would call a "private sector".

I mean it is not required that private ships are used. This is more of a suggestion to roleplayers in the next Rp that have a private sector what they can do with it. If they don't fit then you can just not use them however, if you want to have something to fill that role I have suggestions but I don't know about their relevancy, as I don't know your race (yet).

First you could have a private sector supplanted by companies owned by the government or some such. They would operate as companies but report to their government all such trades, and ask for approval from higher up for bigger decisions.

Second if that does not work in the setting you could have the government sending out representatives explicitly to foreign companies or markets to induce trade between the foreign nations and your own. Allowing for a type a inter player roleplay that is not strictly diplomatic.

Third if neither of the above work I have no idea. tongue

So it was just a suggestion if you can, if your race cannot don't try to force it in. If you want it in however we can help but not knowing why we can't really help. Do whatever you want in this case.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:13 pm

This third species that I am going to use lacks anything remotely close to "business" as the society is modeled entirely after different "hives" and individual workers in them. I could have that an individual hive comes across other aliens but that is as far as I could go in non-government authorised interaction with the outside world.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:22 pm

Caspoi wrote:This third species that I am going to use lacks anything remotely close to "business" as the society is modeled entirely after different "hives" and individual workers in them. I could have that an individual hive comes across other aliens but that is as far as I could go in non-government authorised interaction with the outside world.

I think that if you want to have non-government authorized interactions the singular hive is likely the best.

From your description it sounds as though these hives run with a sort of resources based economy, in the sense of allocation of resources to fields based on need and priority.

(If something needs to be done, Dam built or something, appropriate resources, manpower and expertise are moved and used for the project, building the Dam, and this based upon whether the Dam has the highest priority, if people are starving because food shipments aren't coming in they are going divert resources to that instead of the Dam. And need, If the next valley over needs power more than than the Dam sight, then they will divert resources there first.)

For example if a hive needs a certain resource to a large extent but has a limited supply or must costly import it from another hive or region, then it may be more cost efficient to 'buy' from an alien company, let me explain with an example.

Say Hive-Alpha needs resource Beta. Beta is in Region Gamma in the greater Hive Network and area of control. As well Company Delta sells resource Beta, which Hive-Alpha needs. Hive-Alpha could build many ships and train personnel and all of the maintenance for that, but it would take many resources for a long time, and Hive-Alpha would have to wait till the ships were built and crews trained until it could get resource Beta. Then they would still have to mine/collect it and ship it back continuously. There is Company Zeta which leases their ships, which Hive-Alpha could use. However Hive-Alpha cannot lease the ships or buy resource Beta because it does not have money in the Companies currency, nor does it have currency to exchange for it. However Company Epsilon buys alien "artifacts" to sell to Xenophile populations. So Hive-Alpha makes "artifacts", little sculptures of things, and sells them to Company Epsilon, Company Epsilon gives currency to Hive-Alpha, Hive-Alpha leases ships from Company Zeta, then buys resource Beta from Company Delta OR Hive-Alpha leases ships from Company Zeta then goes get resources Beta from Region Gamma.

It really all depends how dependent Hive-Alpha is willing to be. If they buy from outsiders then they are dependent on them however if they go it alone they greatly reduce what they can do with their resources by sinking them into buildings ships. Then further complications arrise by if Hive-Alpha builds the ships but then they are attacked they used resources for no gain, however if they build defense ships for their transport ships then they lose even more resources when it is not guaranteed that the the transports will be attacked. However if they lease and lose then they might have to "pay" Company Zeta back but lose no real resources besides extra time taken to make more alien "artifacts".

Such an arrangement might not happen immediately but after some communication and a few explanations from visitors on currency and other economic ideas it would be more resource efficient in some cases, allowing for a single Hive style non-governmental interaction.

It is likely the closest you can get with the set up as I understand it, it really just facilitates more interesting and deeper interactions with other players. It can even expands more if for example yet anoter group (Likely differen player's group) wants resource Beta or maybe another Hive.

It just allows for more and different interactions other than strict governmental affairs. And arrangements like this might be necessary when your Hives communicate with nations that have Private sectors as the Governments might not even have resource Beta because they don't need it for whatever reason, or can't access it, (like laws preventing nationalization of company assets or something Crazy like that...)

Just a suggestion of how you could still get involved, possibly ridiculously long suggestions but just a suggestion. Very Happy
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:50 pm

Hm, it is possible if they could wrap their heads around it. Problem is that the species lacks any real concept of "sellingand buying" or ownership in general. If Hive Alpha needs resource Beta for their construction and Delta has it at hand then they send someone to take, if we are to assume that Beta is located on the planet Eta then in their eyes it is up for grabs, there are no "borders" or"zones of control to them and if someone else also tries to harvest the resource then combat must decide who it belongs to.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:20 pm

Caspoi wrote:Hm, it is possible if they could wrap their heads around it. Problem is that the species lacks any real concept of "sellingand buying" or ownership in general. If Hive Alpha needs resource Beta for their construction and Delta has it at hand then they send someone to take, if we are to assume that Beta is located on the planet Eta then in their eyes it is up for grabs, there are no "borders" or"zones of control to them and if someone else also tries to harvest the resource then combat must decide who it belongs to.

Hmm, I think your Hives are going to have fun times attempting not to be killed by everyone they will likely anger. Laughing
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Yes, it will be interesting to see how they will handle the more "ordinary" empires that are so different from them.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Offizier Necro Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:52 pm

Caspoi wrote:Yes, it will be interesting to see how they will handle the more "ordinary" empires that are so different from them.
I love cultural dissonance. I'm unsure if I should go back to my human space viking idea or stick with my dieselpunk-ish FREEDOM empire, or do both, or pick one and use a space bug race I had for the other, or pick one and do a completely different empire with the space bugs. But in any case I'd be happy to hop aboard the cultural dissonance train. Cultural and philosophical interaction is great.

"Hello, I see that we both want these asteroids. Would you like to take part in a mining territory agreem- " "A FLEET DUEL IT IS, THEN!" "wait what"

"Hello, I see that we both want these asteroids. I'm just gonna take these and move on to the next system." "A FLEET DUEL IT IS, THEN!" "I like your style, xenos! EN GARDE!"
Offizier Necro
Offizier Necro
Hyper Member
Hyper Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Offizier Necro wrote:
Caspoi wrote:Yes, it will be interesting to see how they will handle the more "ordinary" empires that are so different from them.
I love cultural dissonance. I'm unsure if I should go back to my human space viking idea or stick with my dieselpunk-ish FREEDOM empire, or do both, or pick one and use a space bug race I had for the other, or pick one and do a completely different empire with the space bugs. But in any case I'd be happy to hop aboard the cultural dissonance train. Cultural and philosophical interaction is great.

"Hello, I see that we both want these asteroids. Would you like to take part in a mining territory agreem- " "A FLEET DUEL IT IS, THEN!" "wait what"

"Hello, I see that we both want these asteroids. I'm just gonna take these and move on to the next system." "A FLEET DUEL IT IS, THEN!" "I like your style, xenos! EN GARDE!"

Probably easier to do just one, and if I am going to play as space bgs then I would recomend your freedom empire or those space vikings. But it will be interesting to see for instance what happens if a hive starts to colonise another world already settled by a different people.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:06 pm

You know thinking about it, depending on how you do it, these could act quite like the Arachnids from the Starfire series. In which case that Shiva Option sounds very interesting...

Offizier Necro wrote:I love cultural dissonance. I'm unsure if I should go back to my human space viking idea or stick with my dieselpunk-ish FREEDOM empire, or do both, or pick one and use a space bug race I had for the other, or pick one and do a completely different empire with the space bugs. But in any case I'd be happy to hop aboard the cultural dissonance train. Cultural and philosophical interaction is great.

Well if you both do it then well, I have to prepare my race carefully so that I can get this:

The Second Roleplay Universe - Page 2 Xenoph10

Caspoi wrote:Probably easier to do just one, and if I am going to play as space bgs then I would recomend your freedom empire or those space vikings. But it will be interesting to see for instance what happens if a hive starts to colonise another world already settled by a different people.

Have to agree on the recommendation, or could create something new. Will be interesting though, hope nothing too serious happens...

EDIT: Expanding upon the recommendation, I am aiming to *technically* play two Empires though likly going to effectively be one, will have to see how to balance with the system Theclans makes.

Last edited by Joe Joerson on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Expansion of points)
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:25 pm

Oh, nothing bad could ever happen if millions of insectoids start to encroach on the homes of others, eating them as well. It must take ore than that to start something as serious as a galactic war for it, surely? Reading up on the arachnids they are quite similar to what I have in mind, although I don't know how effective the Shiva Option (from what I understood using their telepathic communication with one another to cripple them) because while some research into the area may be done they are not a telepathic species and do not possess a literal hive mind, only acting like because it has been drilled into their biology, making them overall more like real life insects.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Well the Shiva option was more about mass easy extermination rather than the tactical mass death crippling but yes not as effective.

Yeah this Roleplay is gonna be fun, especially when one of the "Empires" I plan on being peaceful traders, that is gonna be so easy and peaceful nothing could possibly go wrong, with neighbors like these.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Would your peaceful traders start a war of extermination though?

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Caspoi wrote:Would your peaceful traders start a war of extermination though?

Likely not and looking at them, more Xenophile than pacifist, alien friendly traders?

In any case my idea is to have Militant Xenophobes and Friendly Traders. Little bit complex relationship, will have to write that into the detailed sections. Might count them as one "empire" will have to see...
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:24 am

Joe Joerson wrote:
Caspoi wrote:Would your peaceful traders start a war of extermination though?

Likely not and looking at them, more Xenophile than pacifist, alien friendly traders?

In any case my idea is to have Militant Xenophobes and Friendly Traders. Little bit complex relationship, will have to write that into the detailed sections. Might count them as one "empire" will have to see...

You could have them be of different castes or social Groups within the empire, rivals both vying for Power.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Zuko Darkborn Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:41 am

So, when is this going to happen?
Zuko Darkborn
Zuko Darkborn
Primus Moderator
Primus Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:23 pm

Caspoi wrote:You could have them be of different castes or social Groups within the empire, rivals both vying for Power.

I think I will go with the two Empires route and make their connection being less complex, and maybe changing a few other things...

Zuko Darkborn wrote:So, when is this going to happen?

Whenever Theclans finishes making the rule set and basic background and posts it. I mean if he told us what in general he was planning we could help, *hint* *hint*.

No, seriously speaking I am just spending some of my free time writing up a slowly expanding amount of backstory.

As well if Theclans doesn't post in the next few days I am going to start formatting new Roleplay rules as well just to make sure we have something if they can't post soon, or their time is taken up by something in the real world or something.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:58 pm

As I cannot think of a better solution I will ask all of you.

This is on the organization of the new roleplay sub forum. Should We keep Diplomacy and Non-governmental Roleplay between players in the same sub(sub?)forum or should they be sperated? And if they should be separated what should the categorical names be? The shortest I could get to one singular sub sub forum was 'Incharacter Player Interactions'.
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Offizier Necro Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:07 pm

Joe Joerson wrote:As I cannot think of a better solution I will ask all of you.

This is on the organization of the new roleplay sub forum. Should We keep Diplomacy and Non-governmental Roleplay between players in the same sub(sub?)forum or should they be sperated? And if they should be separated what should the categorical names be? The shortest I could get to one singular sub sub forum was 'Incharacter Player Interactions'.
I'm not sure on if we should or shouldn't, since I think it'd depend on the empires. There might not be many private actors and informal interactions if every nation is fascist, communist, or theocratic.

However, if there is a split, then I suggest that Diplomacy be renamed "Formal Diplomacy" to cover formal meetings and agreements, while "Informal Exchanges" or something similar be used for private actors, colonist interaction, and other stuff like that.
Offizier Necro
Offizier Necro
Hyper Member
Hyper Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:31 pm

Offizier Necro wrote:I'm not sure on if we should or shouldn't, since I think it'd depend on the empires. There might not be many private actors and informal interactions if every nation is fascist, communist, or theocratic.

However, if there is a split, then I suggest that Diplomacy be renamed "Formal Diplomacy" to cover formal meetings and agreements, while "Informal Exchanges" or something similar be used for private actors, colonist interaction, and other stuff like that.

I have changed it to two separate areas that will be combined into one if the "Informal Exchanges" is not used or is redundant. The new sub-forum is almost ready, needs a few final touches based on some of the specifics that are pulled from the Rules post.

On a similar but different topic, is there anything that Aftermath roleplay lacked that I can add. organization wise, to the new Roleplay?
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:43 am

Probably a greater allowance for interaction within the empire, there was the "development and expansion" but it does not really suit for when I plan to start my species of in the midst of a civil war.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:22 pm

Caspoi wrote:Probably a greater allowance for interaction within the empire, there was the "development and expansion" but it does not really suit for when I plan to start my species of in the midst of a civil war.

Maybe adding a "storytelling" to the "development and expansion" so as to just broaden the category, all deal mostly with players making pieces that inform without directly interacting with others. Or perhaps a new category? A new category seems better...

In Aftermath Roleplay I know Mthis did a internal Broadcasts in the diplomacy section that dealt with how things were going within his Empire. Often having a short OOC narration followed by Incharacter News Broadcasts. If your race is the bugs you mentioned earlier then perhaps more narration? Or perhaps keeping with the News Broadcasts?
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caspoi Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:36 pm

Well a news broadcast certainly wouldn't fit them so it would be good to see a category for the internal politics.

Caspoi
Primus
Primus

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Joerson Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Added a new section:

Internal Affairs
From civil war to news broadcasts and public opinions, including politics and other internal happenings. This section covers it all.

Covers what you wanted and thought would be useful, yes?
Joe Joerson
Joe Joerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next